Date:      Fri, 4 Feb 2000 00:17:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gd requiring X (was Re: skip requires X?)

On Thu, 3 Feb 2000, Ade Lovett wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 03, 2000 at 10:37:17AM -0800, Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami wrote:
> >
> > Figuring out the chain of dependencies could be messy though.  We need
> > to make sure the user won't end up with a gnome-disabled foo and
> > gnome-enabled bar when bar depends on foo (or something like that).
>
> For packages, it should be a (relatively) straightforward hack such
> that if we're installing "bar-gnome", we should first try to install
> "foo-gnome" as a dependent, falling back to plain old "foo"
> (possibly with a warning) if one isn't found.
>
> For ports, bar-gnome simply has a dependency on ${PORTSDIR}/xxx/foo-gnome,
> which sets WITH_GNOME=YES and includes xxx/foo

What about some ports that have multiple, even 4 or five optional
dependencies.  These *do* exist.  Your naming plan isn't going to cover
that, and think about just how many packages what you propose *really* is
going to cause.  It's not just a doubling.

> The big disadvantage I can see, especially for those ports with basic
> X11, GTK _and_ GNOME personalities is a fairly major increase in the
> number of ports.
>
> It would be useful to have the infrastructure in place for such
> multiple-personality ports sooner rather than later.  We're starting
> to get a large number of ports that have optional dependencies on one
> thing or another, all done in a variety of different ways :(
>
> -aDe

Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.

New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
fictitious words in the dictionary.