Date:      Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:15:57 -0400
From:      Forrest Aldrich <forrie@tiac.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Server certificates

This really isn't FreeBSD-specific, but it does apply.

I'm curious about whether someone (an organization like GNU for example)
has considered creating a "free" certificate authority through which SSL
certificates (a la Verisign mafia) can be authenticated and issued.  I
understand the obvious concerns about export and such, but wouldn't this
provide a little bit of freedom for the rest of us?

I've also heard rumor of some effort to provide "free" domain name service
when (if) the new hierarchy is approved... ?

Thanks,

Forrest