Date:      17 Apr 2000 17:49:19 -0700
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LIB_DEPENDS runs too early

 * From: "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>

 * Here is the patch for review. I left misc-depends in "extract" stage
 * to allow extraction programs and move build-depends and lib-depends to
 * "configure" stage. Extract must not depend in any way of tools and
 * libraries needed for building. Please review this patch and tell me if it
 * breaks something or commit it. Thanks.

No, as it says in the handbook, the "compile-time" dependencies
includes everything required during the build, including extraction.

 * --- bsd.port.mk.bak	Tue Apr 18 02:26:20 2000
 * +++ bsd.port.mk	Tue Apr 18 02:28:11 2000
 * @@ -1848,7 +1848,10 @@
 *  .endif
 *  .if make(real-extract)
 *  	@cd ${.CURDIR} && ${MAKE} ${__softMAKEFLAGS} checksum REAL_EXTRACT=yes
 * -	@cd ${.CURDIR} && ${MAKE} ${__softMAKEFLAGS} build-depends lib-depends misc-depends
 * +	@cd ${.CURDIR} && ${MAKE} ${__softMAKEFLAGS} misc-depends
 * +.endif
 * +.if make(real-configure)
 * +	@cd ${.CURDIR} && ${MAKE} ${__softMAKEFLAGS} build-depends lib-depends

It certainly will break USE_BZIP2 ports.

As for moving just lib-depends to configure, I am not sure if that
will break anything.  We have been discouraging people to list the
same port in more than one list for each of the compile-time and
run-time dependencies (and also encouraged people to use LIB_DEPENDS
over other forms), it is quite possible that a LIB_DEPENDS port
contains a program that is needed for extraction.

All in all, I don't think it is worth the (potential) trouble.  Use
NO_DEPENDS if you want to skip dependencies.

Satoshi