Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 2013 09:25:51 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dag-Erling =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: OpenSSH with DNSSEC support in 10

On Wed, 2013-09-11 at 17:00 +0200, Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> OpenSSH in FreeBSD 10 is now built with DNSSEC support, unless you
> disable LDNS in src.conf.  If DNSSEC is enabled, the default setting fo=
> VerifyHostKeyDNS is "yes".  This means that OpenSSH will silently trust
> DNSSEC-signed SSHFP records.  I consider this a lesser evil than "ask"
> (aka "train the user to type 'yes' and hit enter") and "no" (aka "train
> the user to type 'yes' and hit enter without even the benefit of a
> second opinion").
>=20
> DES

So what happens when there is no dns server to consult?  Will every ssh
connection have to wait for a long dns query timeout?

What if the machine is configured to use only /etc/hosts?

What if a DNS server is configured but doesn't respond?

For that matter, I just realized I'm a bit unclear on who is querying
DNS for this info, the ssh client or the sshd?

-- Ian