Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2014 11:19:56 -0500
From:      Randy Pratt <bsd-unix@embarqmail.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portmaster/Poudriere/Pkgng

On Tue, 18 Feb 2014 07:22:11 +0000
Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On 18/02/2014 02:34, Randy Pratt wrote:
> > I have been attempting to get portmaster to use my local repository
> > but get a message "Package installation support cannot be used with
> > pkgng yet, it will be disabled".
>
> This is a known limitation of the portmaster / pkg combination.  Patches
> welcome -- however, there is a significant hurdle in that portmaster
> would have to rebuild its repository each time it added a package to it,
> and that would make things horribly slow.

The message was what finally prompted me to ask on the list after
about a week of trying various configurations and searching many
documents.   I didn't see the message at first because it scrolls
off the screen as portmaster started building from source.  The
https://fossil.etoilebsd.net/poudriere/doc/trunk/doc/portmaster.wiki
makes it look easy to use portmaster.

> Most people find that the pkg+poudriere combination is sufficient on its
> own, without needing to add portmaster to the mix.  If you need to add a
> new package, add it to the list of packages for your poudriere instance
> to build and then run a poudriere bulk to add it and any dependencies to
> your repo.  You can then 'pkg install' it in the usual way.

Agreed.  Its probably the best in the long run if you need more
frequent updates than is provided by the FreeBSD package builds,
need to update multiple machines using different OPTIONS, or
want to build packages in a pristine environment before installing
them to running systems.

Congrats to those who worked to make this happen.  It'll be interesting
to watch as future features emerge.

My next project is to actually *use* the packages I've built for
updating a running system.  Even though my last portmaster update was
2 days ago, my "pkg upgrade" shows over 200 packages to be updated.
It seems as if pkg does a more thorough checking than a simple
version comparison.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Randy