Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 08:14:11 -0500
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@wjv.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, bde@zeta.org.au, julian@elischer.org, fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: physical block no -> name of file  (FFS)?

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 05:20:43PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger thus sprach:
> On 30 Okt, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > The problem is that you will have to exhaustively search 50% of
> > all metadata to find a bad block that's contained in a file, and
> > 100% of all metadata, if it's not contained in a file (for example,
> > if it has been replaced by a spare, or the error occurred during a
> > free of the bad block, and the bad block was in metadata, so it
> > held a reference to non-bad blocks).

> If it is replaced by a spare, I didn't have a problem. I just
> want to use the program to lookup files for which the error still
> is present (in my particular situation there was a read error on
> a file and I had to issue a write command to this block (with
> camcontrol) to have it replaced with a spare).

Properly set up you should not have to do this.
If you drive supports relocation and it is turned on, some drives
don't have it turned on, then all of this should be transparent

-----------------
AWRE (Auto Write Reallocation Enbld):  1	<***************
ARRE (Auto Read Reallocation Enbld):  1		<***************
TB (Transfer Block):  1
RC (Read Continuous):  0
EER (Enable Early Recovery):  0
PER (Post Error):  1
DTE (Disable Transfer on Error):  0
DCR (Disable Correction):  0
Read Retry Count:  41
Correction Span:  48
Head Offset Count:  0
Data Strobe Offset Count:  0
Write Retry Count:  24
Recovery Time Limit:  65535

The AWRE and ARRE at 1 say to reallocate on errors.  Since you
mentioned you used camcontrol to fix this then use the modepage
of camcontrol to see this.   The above is page 1.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com