Date:      Sat, 17 Apr 2021 20:08:54 +0300
From:      Yuri Pankov <yuripv@ftml.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   catch-all daemon.info entry in syslog.conf is a bit unhelpful

I understand it's been quite some time since it was added, but I have
been bitten by it just now.  I am adding per-daemon .conf files for
ports in /usr/local/etc/syslog.d/ and noticed that none of them were
working.

An example entry is:

$ cat /usr/local/etc/syslog.d/dhcpd.conf
!dhcpd
*.*     /var/log/dhcpd.log

Then I noticed the daemon.info entry in /etc/syslog.conf and had to
workaround it like below:

!-dhcpd
daemon.info                                     /var/log/daemon.log
!+dhcpd

Given the above, I'm wondering if we could move the daemon.info entry to
the bottom *after* we read the include dirs, so it would only select
everything that is not handled already?