Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 23:49:06 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        gdk@ccomp.inode.COM, jkh@time.cdrom.COM, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mv /usr/src/games /dev/null - any objections?

> > I can understand how mixing high-priced corporate lawyers with
> > public-domain source code can drive you beyond frustration into
> > the Great Beyond, but scrapping all of the games seems a bit ham
> > handed.  Why not send any questionable source code to the
> > corporations in question, and let them make all of thier
> > objections at once?
>
> How do you know which corporations are in question?

They mumble at you like they mumbled at Jordan, and they're in
your competition space.

For example, if SCO complains about a trademark, you have to take
it seriosly.  If a computer game company for another platform
complains about a trademark, you give them the finger (but only
after they decline to port to your platform to make available the
services they want you to delete).

Speaking of which, why did Tetris get deleted instead of having the
"PROGRAMNAME=..." set in the Makefile?  I still think this is stupid
as all get out...

> > And I'm not sure it's necessary to remove all traces of the
> > game, just all traces of the trademarked word or phrase.
>
> It doesn't seem to be as simple as that.  At least, it wasn't with
> T*tr*s.

I seem to be saying this a lot in this thread, but... Bullshit.  It's
as simple as competition space.  Apple Computer couldn't damage
Apple Record's "good name and faith in the industry" because they
weren't in the same industry.  Hasbro/Tetris/et. al. are not in
the "games for FreeBSD" business.

The question is how much legality is required.

Doesn't Walnut Creek or FreeBSD, Inc. have a lawyer on retainer
who is at least willing to test the water with an "Apple vs. Apple"
citation in a response letter?

Or is the automatic reaction going to be to bend over for people
who, dog-like, pee all over any name-space they see to mark "their"
territory?

Why the hell do you think domain names cost $50 a pop now?  It's because
Proctor and Gamble registered all their trademarks as domains.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.