Date:      Sat, 8 May 2021 15:02:18 +0100
From:      Roger Leigh <rleigh@codelibre.net>
Subject:   FreeBSD 13 console stops working under VMware

Hi,

This might sound like a bit of an odd one, but I=E2=80=99ll try to =
describe it.  When I run a FreeBSD 13-RELEASE virtual machine under =
VMware, it appears to work correctly, but randomly stops working.

If I focus the VMware window, and press Ctrl-G to grab input focus (or =
click in the window), I can log into the system using the console.  =
However, if I press Ctrl-Alt to ungrab the input focus, or click outside =
the window, the block cursor on the console vanishes, and it=E2=80=99s =
no longer possible to type any input.

However=E2=80=A6 if I grab focus again, I can use Alt-Fn to switch to a =
different virtual console, log in again and everything is fine=E2=80=A6 =
up until I switch focus to something else and the block cursor vanishes =
in that virtual console.  Repeat until you run out of virtual consoles!

I can=E2=80=99t reproduce this with FreeBSD 12.  It seems to only happen =
with FreeBSD 13.  I=E2=80=99ve had it happen reproducibly when losing =
focus, but then again sometimes I=E2=80=99ve had a few minutes where it =
doesn=E2=80=99t happen, until it starts occurring again.  While it seems =
that losing focus is the trigger, there might be something else going =
on.

Has anyone else noticed this or have any suggested workarounds?

Kind regards,
Roger=