Date:      Tue, 25 Feb 1997 19:20:38 -0500 (EST)
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FTP Install just quits..

I have been trying to install 2.1.7-RELEASE via ftp on a PC here, and it
logs into the ftp server, starts extracting bin into / directory. Then it
just hangs there, never to move again. I had several problems with ram, so
I replaced it, then I thought it might be the ethernet card, I didn't
replace it, but I did boot the machine back up in linux and downloaded
about 10 Meg worth of files from ftp.freebsd.org, just to verify the card
was ok, No problem.

I am sitting here on a T-1 and the average transfer rate was about 45K
to the Linux box from ftp.freebsd.org, but when I try to do a fresh
install of FreeBSD, it will read anywhere from 18K to 254K and then it
just stops. The ethernet card is a 3c509, I have been using it with Linux
and Win95 for months in the same machine with no problems.

More info needed? Has anybody run into this before, any suggestions. The
3c509 is set up for irq 9, which is the only thing a little out of the
ordinary, but I tell the boot up prog about it and it is happy. Lost and
in need of suggestions. Tried it with both 2.2Gamma and 2.1.7-RELEASE,
same story.

Later
Kelley