Date:      Wed, 03 Jul 2002 13:59:41 +0100
From:      Dermot McNally <dermot@directski.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   vr driver causing problems on some chipsets?

Hi,

I recently installed 4.6 Release (updating to stable) on a new laptop.
Its NIC identifies itself as <VIA VT6102 Rhine II 10/100BaseTX> and uses
the vr driver - badly. Any kind of heavy load (transferring a large file
over LAN, say) triggers the error "vr0: watchdog timeout".

There isn't much in the archives on this (specifically, no solution),
but other folks have reported the same thing, and there's a suggestion
that this has been happening ever since this driver started using miibus.

FWIW, I don't suspect the hardware, as the box dual boots and it Works
Fine under Windows.

The notebook is a generic beast, bought in Lidl, for the benefit of
those that know what that is.

Any suggestions? I'm more than happy to run tests if anyone can propose
some...

Thanks,
Dermot