Date:      Sun, 28 Mar 1999 21:40:07 -0500
From:      Laurence Berland <stuyman@confusion.net>
To:        Brian Adkins <brian@lojic.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Logo merchandise

Anybody evaluating the OS shouldnt be on advocacy.  The best place for that
would be -newbies or -questions.  The point of the -advocacy list is to spread
the word about  FBSD.  To get people interested.  Or rather the list is a
discussion of how to get those people interested.  It's not the place to go to
satisfy that interest.  I admit the thread is a little silly, but still, it's
important that as many people wear a FreeBSD T-Shirt as possible.  Once they see
the T-Shirt and say "Hey, what in the world is that?" you tell them and they go
to www.freebsd.org, and maybe read some stuff and join -questions.  They dont go
to advocacy for an evaluation.  If someone lurking here is looking for info,
then I recommend you go to -questions, where you'll get a view of FreeBSD.  This
isnt the place for that.  It's the place for talking about conventions, artwork,
advertising, and TShirts.

Brian Adkins wrote:

> At 01:28 PM 3/29/99 +1200, Dan Langille wrote:
> >Actually Brian, this was not a discussion about which colour t-shirt I
> >wanted.  It was about presenting a clean-green image when it came to t-
> >shirts.  Which *is* advocacy AFAIK.
>
> Dan, if you think 12 separate posts about the bloody color of a t-shirt is
> significant in helping the FreeBSD project, then have at it man!  Let me
> ask you this, though.  If you were someone evaluating operating systems and
> you were lurking in the advocacy list for several of them and most of what
> you saw on the FreeBSD list was what you see below, would you get a good
> feeling about where the project was heading and what the vision and
> priorities were?
>
> ---
> While we're talking about the other promotional goods, how's about some
> T-SHirts that are black instead of white? I hate white t-shirts but i'd love
> to get a FreeBSD shirt.
> ---
> It takes a _lot_ more ink to do a black one, but I agree it's worth it
> for the effect. You'll pay $20 instead of $16 to get one? I would too.
> ---
> I wouldn't.  $4 more just to have the shirt black?  Dye is cheap.
> ---
> <black dye != $4> We'll see. I do want to make black shirts, whatever
> the cost.
> ---
> Even a white T-Shirt requires dye, otherwise it would be a grayish color.  I
> would thing a dime would suffice for the dye, and something for handling,
> but $4.00 seems excessive!
> ---
> On a green-clean note, why not have unbleached cotton?  It's not white,
> looks good, and doesn't go gray as it gets older <grin>.
> ---
> I would certainly pay extra for a black T-Shirt.  Also lets get more sizes
> from XXXL to XXS, I know some rather large people who would want a shirt,
> not to mention some people who'd like to have little kids wearing the
> shirts.  (It'd be pretty cool if my 5 year old brother could get an XS)
> ---
> I don't like white t-shirts, it's hard to keep them looking clean and
> new.  I prefer that mottled grey color... (or is that the unbleached
> cottom colour?)
> ---
> That's unbleached cotton AFAIK.
> ---
> Grey?  As in what you often see many sweat pants and sweat shirts?  No,
> not that grey.  I just rang my neighbour, who's a colour expert, to find
> out about this.  Unbleached cotton is more of a cream colour.
> ---
> Fair enough.  But the main reason I mentioned unbleached cotton was
> environmental.
> ---
> The grey I'm talking about commonly found in athletic t-shirts.  Hanes
> and Jockey both make them in packs of three.  It's a softer neutral
> [...]

Laurence Berland, Stuyvesant HS Debate
Windows 98: n.
        useless extension to a minor patch release for
        32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a
        16-bit patch to an 8-bit operating system
        originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,
        written by a 2-bit company that can't stand for
        1 bit of competition.
http://stuy.debate.net
icq #7434346                    aol imer E1101