Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 1997 20:55:48 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@Mcs.Net>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Studded@dal.net, lists@tar.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Moving to a more current BIND

On Mon, Aug 04, 1997 at 10:26:46AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
> > >Someone has stated that their new "bind" is complaining about my
> > >use of an alias record as the name of my DNS server.
> >
> > 	This has always been an error, but BIND 8.1.1 is more vocal about
> > it now.  TMK BIND 4.9.6 does not exhibit any differences in relation to
> > this from the BIND 4.9.4 we had in the tree.  In any case, what you're
> > doing will still work, and 8.1.1 allows you to send those error messages
> > to /dev/null if you like.
>
> Not on other peoples machines, I can't.
>

> > >This is a bogus thing for it to do, since it is imperitive that
> > >you be able to use a DNS rotor for DNS services, if you have
> > >equivalent servers for reasons of fault tolerance.
> >
> > 	Without going into too much detail that's better left for
> > bind-users@vix.com, a dns rotary is certainly not "imperative," and BIND
> > is actually pretty smart about sending its queries to the one of your name
> > servers that is in the best network position to it.
>
> My particular use is to allow moving my secondary all over creation
> as the whim takes me.  That is because my secondary is a box which
> can be booted into multiple OS's, each of which has a different IP
> address.
>
> The reasoning behind this is to ensure that my MX records don't
> point to a machine that has a mail demon, but none of the original
> accounts.
>
> I can live with my secondary MX queueing up mail.
>
> I can *not* live with my mail being refused for the lack of a
> correctly named account at the primary MX's IP address.

You're already stuck with that due to caching behavior.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal