Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 22:22:56 -0400
From:      Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   floating point troubles...

I'm trying to get Smalltalk from the ports collection working, but I'm running
into a recurring problem with floating point handling, ending up with an
exception and a core dump.  I've reduced the problem to the following simple
program:

#include <floatingpoint.h>

main()
{
        double num, base, exponent;
        fp_except_t mask;

        mask = fpgetmask();
        fpsetmask(mask & ~(FP_X_INV|FP_X_OFL));

        base = 10; exponent = 1000;

        num = pow(base, exponent);
}

Unless I'm missing something, an fp exception shouldn't be happening because
I have them disabled.  Compiling with -mieee or -mfp-regs makes no difference,
still dumps.  If I do an outright fpsetmask(0) it still dumps.
For what it's worth, the preceeding code runs fine on an intel box.

Anyone have any clues????

-Mark