Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 2002 10:43:47 +0200 (MEST)
From:      Pascal Giannakakis <CapM@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mpg123 / mpg321 stream problem

Hi ppl,

i like to listen to internet-radio (mp3-stream), and tried to make it work
with mpg123
and mpg321 on my FreeBSD. I can start the stream and listen to it, but both
players
have strange gaps in the playback, or jumps, i don't know how to describe it
exactly.

It sounds as if the players stop to play the stream for a part of a second,
then play
the missing part at higher speed to catch up, and then continue normaly. It
looks like
the players produce this interrupts while they're fetching new data (my
modem-lights
blink madly at this time).

I have 800 MHz, 256 MB RAM and 1 mBit downstream DSL. It is not a problem of
the line
or the server, as i can listen to the streams perfectly on my W2K, which
uses the
FreeBSD as the inet-gateway.

Setting the priority or a higher buffer doesnt help. Any idea what i am
missing? Or is
there another command line player in  the ports?

TIA

http://www.gmx.net