Date:      Mon, 1 May 2000 00:56:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Dominik Brettnacher <domi@saargate.de>
To:        "sean@seanrees.com" <sean@seanrees.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound skipping

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, sean@seanrees.com wrote:

> I've been diddling with my FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE installation. Its going to
> be -STABLE later tonight or tomorrow.

newpcm respective FreeBSD 4 seem to me more sensible when it comes to
short CPU load spikes. On 3-STABLE I never had problems with mpg123 up to
a load average of 6-7 on a P166MMX using a buffer of 1024 kbytes. Now the
sound sometimes hangs or skips even when I open an xterm.

Another issue is the mixer with newpcm: on my Avance Asound 110 there has
been some noise since I'm using 4-STABLE. Setting the volume to 100 using
mixer(8) does not result in the same loudness as it did before.

--
Dominik - http://www.brettnacher.org/users/dominik/