Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 16:08:00 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marty Poulin <mpoulin@honk.org>
To:        Michael Oasay <moasay@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help needed for newbie to UNIX

_The Complete FreeBSD_ is a good (great!) start.
You can order it online from www.cdrom.com

Also, depending on how new you are to UNIX, you can get some good
information to start at
http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/new-users/index.html

Of course, the FreeBSD Handbook (http://www.freebsd.org/handbook) couldn't
hurt either.

Other books:

UNIX For Dummies
More UNIX For Dummies
Learning the UNIX Operating System (O'Reilly)
UNIX in a Nutshell (O'Reilly - in fact, check out
http://unix.oreilly.com for TONS of O'Reilly UNIX books)

You can also get some decent training if you have the bucks to pay for it.

Learning Tree has some good generic UNIX courses (www.learningtree.com)
and there are some vendor-specific offerings (HP offers *EXCELLENT*
training in HP-UX system administration - I have first hand experience
with that - while specific to HP-UX, they cover everything a UNIX
administrator needs to know) - I'm sure that Sun offers training as well.
And there are a host of other training companies willing to take your
money.

Just keep in mind that FreeBSD and Solaris are about as different as two
Unixes can be (FreeBSD is a direct descendant of 4.3 BSD-Lite, while
Solaris is based on AT&T SYS V UNIX) - if you want to know more about
that, look up the history of UNIX at
http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/TUHS/Mirror/Hauben/unix-Contents.html

HTH

- M -