Date:      Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:26:35 -0700
From:      Matthew Jacob <mj@feral.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (free)(open)IPMI tools in base

I don't think that this is a good idea for a number of reasons. IPMI is
not nearly as prevalent as one might think it is, it is not a true
standard (Intel only), and there are a variety of good toolsets that are
very easy to install. Finally, users of IPMI are sophisticated enough to
install it when they need it and want it. I can't think of a case where
a novice end user needs it and isn't delivered a box preconfigured.