Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 08:33:55 +1000 (Australia/NSW)
From:      Darren Reed <avalon@cairo.anu.edu.au>
To:        tal@lumeta.com (Tom Limoncelli)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipf vs. ipfw

In some mail from Tom Limoncelli, sie said:

> Thanks to everyone that answered my questions.  As in true Usenet
> tradition, if you want the full story, post a message with a lot of
> incorrect statements.  I got much better results than the carefully thought
> out queries that I had sent to various people. :-)
>
> I've updated my page
> http://whatexit.org/tal/mywritings/freefilters.html

The line entry for pf is wrong.

It is defaintely not a superset of IPFilter or ipfw or any of the other
free packet filtering systems.  It should simply say pf includes the
listed features.

You also do not mention SunScreen.  Version 3.1(Lite) came with Solaris8,
3.2 will be bundled with Solaris9 (don't know if this is the Lite version
or not).  Don't know if anyone actually uses it, either.

Darren