Date:      Fri, 23 Aug 1996 09:23:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      didier@omnix.fr.org
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: JDK 1.02

On Thu, 22 Aug 1996, Nate Williams wrote:

> Date: Thu, 22 Aug 1996 17:54:11 -0600 (MDT)
> From: Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
> To: Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
> Cc: Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>, didier@omnix.fr.org,
>     hackers@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: JDK 1.02
>

> And given Sun's recent 'attitude' regarding Java, there is *very* little
> chance of one happening.  Sun is getting very propriatary (sp?) about
> Java, and the Linux developers were forced to remove their port of the
> JDK from ftp sites after being 'contacted' by Sun's lawyers.

I dont like sun's attitude but I think that's impossible to ignore java.
there are probably many possibilities but I'm not sure of the right one

there are several questions

 - is kaffe able to totally replace the native java ?
   (I heard many horrible about kaffe)

 - is it possible to write a x86 solaris emulator for FreeBSD ?

 - are there any possibilities to only distributes the patch to the original
   source file for java (with no line of the original sdk file in the diffs)

--
Didier Derny            | My computer is Microsoft Free...
didier@omnix.fr.org     | FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE site