Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 1999 13:11:48 -0600
From:      robert <robert@mhi-tx.com>
To:        freebsd list <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   dump problem

hello,
I am having a problem with dump or my tape drive.
I have a partition 2gig /usr that I am trying to backup onto an hp dat
drive with a 2gb tape (4gb) compressed. however near the end of the
backup about 77% I get a tape write error. and I am asked if I want to
restart. if I say yes this continues over and over at 77% otherwise it
aborts and I dont get all of my backup.
I have a feeling that it is at the end of the tape and instead of the
drive giving a end of medium it just spits out an error, therefore not
giving me the chance to put in another tape. I tried using -s feet but
my tapes say 90meter wich is about 968 feet but that says I will need
like 156 tapes to do this backup which can't be right.
I have an hp surestore 2000.
any clues would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
robert