Date:      09 Jul 1996 03:04:06 -0500
From:      Zach Heilig <zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com>
To:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@cdsnet.net>, David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>, Network Coordinator <nc@ai.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Increasing FTP thruput.

"Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org> writes:

[ I wrote about noticing a drop from 1.4-1.5K/sec on binary to .57K/sec
  on binary files ]

> Weird. I've been running iijppp for over a year now, and have been
> upgrading regularly, and on a 28k8 I can get 5k/sec (text) download
> relatively easily (with the latest version in -stable). I wonder if
> this has to do with the box you are talking to?

I should have noted that I was transfering binary files.  I always
seemed to get 2.0-3.0K/sec on text, though I don't transfer much raw
text (I compress it first, since I >assume< that gzip does better than
any internal modem compression, I have no way to actually check).  I
also took a look at what really was on the other side, compared to
what I have.  I have a U.S. Robotics Sportster 14.4K modem, the
machine directly on the other side is a U.S. Robotics Total Control
(tm) NETServer 8/16, according to the login prompt.  That is connected
through a LAN to a router to the rest of the internet.  The machine I
was transferring from is on the same LAN (It is a 10Mbps ethernet for
sure, it appears to be strictly TCP/IP).

I noticed the slowdown the moment I ftp'd something after installing
the upgraded iijppp.  I also noticed the speed up right after I
inserted those lines into my ppp.conf file.

--
Zach Heilig (zach@blizzard.gaffaneys.com)
Support bacteria -- it's the only culture some people have!