Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 2009 14:19:13 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
To:        Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Evaluating the performance of a single FreeBSD server

--------------070402040509060400070704

I agree.

Beware high-volume DBMS transaction work.  The structure of those SQL
transactions is CRITICAL and that can easily be the bottleneck -
especially if the indices and structure are poorly designed or simply
won't fit in-core for most of the transactions.

Ivan Voras wrote:
> Michel Di Croci wrote:
>

>> colocation environment) and use it as a starting server and runs an Apache +
>> PHP + PostgreSQL (for a long run stable and expandable DB). If it starts to
>>

> Even if we forget everything else you said, "Apache + PHP + PostgreSQL"
> means you have at least ... BOTE calculation ... at least 24 different
> combinations of how these components interact with each other and each
> has different performance characteristics.
>
> You need to give us much more information before something meaningful
> can be concluded. In general, 90% of your performance issues will be in
> the application (PHP code, not PHP itself) and the database (structure,
> indexes, etc.). Assuming you have a decent application architecture,
> database schema and enough bandwidth, can you think of a similar already
> existing web application so people can have a baseline when giving you
> advice? (Don't think "Google" ... think of a smaller application which
> can be compared in size to yours).

Karl Denninger
karl@denninger.net

--------------070402040509060400070704--