Date:      Fri, 2 Mar 2007 12:12:48 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-keyword-freebsdhackers2.e313df@mired.org>
To:        "Steven Hartland" <killing@multiplay.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS based /usr prevents normal startup due to slow net init

In <015601c75ce9$d0263a10$b3db87d4@multiplay.co.uk>, Steven Hartland <killing@multiplay.co.uk> typed:
> Another observation from my recent dealings with using
> NFS based /usr is that the remote critical mounts via
> nfs dont always give the network enough time to
> initialise before running. The first error displayed
> is:
> Mounting NFS file systems:mount_nfs: nfs1: hostname nor servname provided, or not known
>
> This is particularly noticeable when the machine is
> connected to Cisco equipment as they take quite a
> while link to the connected host after initialisation.

> The result of this is that other services such as
> ldconfig fail to initialise properly due to the
> mount not being available until some point later
> in the boot process once link has been established.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?
>
> Should mountcritremote use "mount -a -t nfs" when this
> appears to return after a short period without said FS's
> being successfully mounted? Is there a way to ensure that
> mount doesnt return without success i.e. a missing flag
> in my fstab or should mountcritremote be updated to test
> for failure and retry?

How about an extra flag in your fstab?  The default behavior for
mount_nfs is to keep retrying until the mount succeeds. For
non-critical file systems, you can specify -b to cause the mount
attempt to go into the background, and -R to limit the number of
retries. It sounds like you have one of those set.

	<mike