Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 13:37:27 -0800
From:      Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Simon L . Nielsen" <simon@nitro.dk>
Cc:        binup@FreeBSD.org, libh@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: current project steps

> Could this maybe be done with the current makefiles? I don't know enough
> about the FreeBSD build system to know that, but from what I have seen it
> looks like the makefiles contains much of the information needed (program
> names, program locations and so on).

Yes, this is my hope.

> Exactly what kinds of problems to you see if the base system is using
> packages? I would guess when installing from source the only difference is
> that you compile the packages yourself? Of course to find a way to give the
> self compiled version package version numbers might be a bit tricky

Well, I'm sort of thinking that the usual version numbers aren't really
an optimal solution. For example, take a look at the voodoo involved with
the current package tools They still break down in a number of
circumstances, mostly depending on what people think letters in version
numbers should mean. I'm fond of date stamps for this reason. We could keep
supplied version numbers around for various reasons, but the actual version
would simply be the date of the latest change, like 200110281332. This
always increases forward, and will never require hacks like PORT_EPOCH.

> Hmm, I have been reading the document Jordan wrote about libh
> (http://www.freebsd.org/projects/libh.html), but I don't really know exactly
> what have been done in libh and how much overlap there is between libh and
> the reworking of the pacakge system..

I'm hoping joe writes up his ideas and posts them more mailing lists
sometime soon. I think he and paul are really on the right track to coming
up with a solid and extensible solution. Perhaps their ideas can be worked
into what libh has got so far, or maybe things will just be borrowed from
libh. In any case, it seems to me that the next generation of FreeBSD
packages needs to be discussed on lists like -arch and -hackers instead
of just -binup and -libh.