Date:      Thu, 09 Oct 2008 02:28:33 +0300
From:      yurtesen@ispro.net
To:        "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble@gmail.com>
Cc:        Volker <volker@vwsoft.com>, Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?b?U234cmdyYXY=?= <des@des.no>, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

Quoting "Zaphod Beeblebrox" <zbeeble@gmail.com>:

> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net> wrote:
>
>> Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
>>

>>> Wow... thanks for the flame, but there's no reason that the  device that
>>> is receiving the hammer replication couldn't be on the other side of the
>>> globe and there's no reason it couldn't be considered a backup.   =20
>>> Part of the
>>> advantage of the structure that allows you to efficiently select for new
>>> changes allows you to do the same kind of *backup* as they claim.
>>>

>> Wouldnt that device need to keep the whole filesystem? Like if you have 1=
0
>> machines with 10x 1GB drives (lets say each used about 250gb), you will n=
eed
>> 10TB disk space in the backup server?
>>

> Urm... I think everything we've been discussing here backs up the whole
> filesystem (it would be near impossible for a block-oriented system to do
> elsewise).  I suppose you could do something with the archive bit or dump
> bits with a filesystem based backup.
>
> But anyways... in a filesystem based replication system, you'd need enough
> space to store the data and the history of the data.  The sum of the histo=
ry
> of the data could even exceed the size of the sum of the input disks.  It
> could also be much smaller.  It really depends on how much you change.

The CDP backup solutions can manage that, even better you dont have to =20
change to a totally new filesystem to use them.

I really do not want to have a large argument about this but the only =20
reason we cant do this on FreeBSD is because the companies who write =20
CDP type backup solutions either do not know much about FreeBSD or =20
they just cant find anybody who they can hire to do the job on FreeBSD.

So that is why I posted this information to this list. If there is =20
anybody who is capable of porting such software to FreeBSD then they =20
can, 1- probably make money by doing the job, 2- if they have very =20
little free time and not interested in making money then they can =20
perhaps contact some of these companies (for example r1soft seems to =20
be interested in supporting FreeBSD) and give them some hints and =20
ideas on how this can be done on FreeBSD and where to find example =20
codes and more information etc.

Thanks,
Evren