Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 10:34:02 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Mike Hench <hench@cae.uwm.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   networking q's

<<On Wed, 9 Aug 1995 18:54:35 -0500 (CDT), Mike Hench <hench@cae.uwm.edu> said:

> 1) is it possible to change the priority of kernel networking ?

No.  The kernel networking code is driven by hardware (network
interface and timer) interrupts.  While it might be an interesting
exercise to attach a process context to the network interrupt service
routines, the only likely result would be a dramatic increase in
jitter and decrease in performance.

>    say to a specific realtime priority

FreeBSD is not a real-time operating system, sorry.

>    totally kill user processes. (the machine is a router
>    with *5* ISA cards :-)

You are almost certainly suffering from the heavy bus load because the
common ISA Ethernet cards don't do DMA, so every packet is laboriously
copied off the adapter's shared memory and into the main store.

> 2) are there any good multiport EISA (or PCI) enet cards that work with FBSD.

There is supposedly someone out there who makes a card with four
DC21040's and a PCI-PCI bridge on it, which would probably help quite
a lot for your application.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.