Date:      Tue, 09 Oct 2007 14:26:32 -0600
From:      Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise SATA controllers & FreeBSD-7

David Taylor wrote:
> Well, its been almost 2 months since this was last mentioned (unless I
> missed something), and nothing appears to have moved since, well, the
> problem first appeared many months prior to that.
>
> So as the branch for -7 is (hopefully) approaching, I thought I'd see if
> anyone had any news or ideas on this rather irritating problem.  Of course
> the main reason for my post is entirely selfish -- I'd like to experiment
> with ZFS, but system instability caused by even moderate disk usage is
> hardly conducive to worthwhile testing...
>
> I, too, am seeing the now infamous:
>
> adX: WARNING - READ_DMA UDMA ICRC error (retrying request) LBA=...
>
> messages after simple commands like (cd /usr/ports; make search key=bonnie)
>
> In my case, ad4 and ad6, connected to a Promise PDC20579 on-board SATA
> controller.

I'm working on this problem, but on generic ATA controllers, not on
Promise in particular.  Not sure how different the Promise controllers
are and whether what I fix will affect them.  I'll let you know when I
have something to test, though.

> This system has been essentially entirely stable whilst running 6-STABLE
> for the past several years.
>
> To me, this is a serious problem which will stop me from using FreeBSD-7.
>
> If there is any way to help diagnose this problem, I'm willing to give
> what assistance I can, but I'm not too sure where to begin...
>
> Alternatively, if anyone can recommend a cheap PCI SATA card which is
> known to work well with FreeBSD-7, I might just end up buying that...

3ware, Areca, Highpoint, Adaptec.  All four companies are active in
supporting FreeBSD.  There are good offerings from LSI as well if you're
willing to spend more money.

Scott