Date:      Tue, 12 Feb 2002 08:13:46 -0500 (EST)
From:      Darien Kindlund <darien@kindlund.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Automatic SSID assignment?

I know that Jim Binkley is currently developing an SSID scanner for
Lucent/Orinoco 802.11 cards at: http://www.cs.pdx.edu/research/SMN/

However, I'm curious if there will be any attempts at integrating this
within the wireless drivers?  This would allow the card to use
any base station without knowing/manually assigning the SSID.

I know Linux has similar functionality, where the SSID can be set to "ANY"
within the driver -- a specified keyword.  This type of functionality
would be very useful, as I tend to use more than 3 stations with my
Aironet 340 card each day.

-- Darien Kindlund
darien@kindlund.com