Date:      Fri, 1 Sep 95 21:00:43 -0400
From:      LPPelletier@cmq.qc.ca (Luc Pelletier)
To:        Jaye_Mathisen_mrcpu@cdsnet.net, guido@gvr.win.tue.nl, MNewell@nsipo.nasa.gov, erich@lodgenet.com, gary@palmer.demon.co.uk, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   None

Hi everybody!

I'm Luc, the guy far away in Quebec city (Canada), that guy who lost (forgot)
his root password (and feel so stupid since).

I'm writing to all of you since you've been kind enough to submit solutions to
my problem. Unfortunately, I've not been able to master the beast so far!!!

Important fact : My console is INSECURE (/etc/ttys). If I type   -s   at the
boot: prompt, nothing happens (I don't drop into single user mode). In one of
the answers I received so far, one mention that my only option is to
reinstall. This is the last I wanna do!

I also tried to    CTRL-C   and     CTRL-\    the booting process at different
point (e.g. before the mount, after the mount...) but nothing worked (I only
got core dump).

Here is the leads (and questions) I'm following (others suggestions are
welcome) :

Lead #1 : Another one mention to get a hold of a fixit disk. Could I regain
control of my system with a fixit disk? What is a fixit disk? Can I make a
fixit disk?

Lead #2 : A series of flag are listed just before the boot promt. I have not
found documentation for them. Can anyone tell me about those flags?

Thank you very very much for all your help   -Lpp

P.S. Forgive my english, french is my mother tongue.