Date:      Tue, 8 Oct 1996 11:07:50 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        fvarnell@znet.com (Frank Varnell)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: atapi

In a previous message, Frank Varnell said:

> I have been unable to install freebsd on my new computer.
> I have a Compaq 133Mhz Presario #4706. It has 2.5MB hard disk and
> an 8x IDE CDROM (I don't know which brand).Also has Windows95.
> I bought the Walnut Creek 2.1.5 Aug '96 release. It didn't have
> the ATAPI.flp files mentioned in the book. So, I went back to the
> 2.1 release which I had successfully installed on another
> machine (dell w/ atapi).
> One of the reasons I bought this machine was that I thought a popular,
> mainstream machine would make an easy BSD install.
>
> Yes, I checked the archives (for hours!). Lot's of similar questions
> but no answers that I could find.
>
> Here is the problem. Running the install either from CD or 2.1
> atapi.flp, after specifying the install parameters (disk
> partition,x11 preferences, etc.) when the install program asks for
> install medium and I specify CDROM, it tells me it can't find the
> CDROM device.
> Anyone able to help here? Pleeeze!

The atapi boot function has been combined into the regular boot
floppy, you'd don't need a special one.

The atapi support in 2.1.5, I believe is beta quality. The hint that I've
seen, over and over and over on this mailing list is:

	Put the CD-Rom on the primary IDE controller as a slave.

I don't have any atapi, so I don't know any more than this.

A couple of other things. The list is a little down on Compaq. There are
unspecified PCI bus problems. I have two Compaq's now, and they seem to
be working fairly well know. The built-in SVGA (Deskpro 2000) with a Sony
monitor, causes a ton of fallout on the screen when moving a window in
1024x768 mode.

Other than that, its a nice machine.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
200 S. 5th St. Suite 1100       PAG: +1 (800) SKY-PAGE PIN: 537-7370