Date:      Wed, 20 Jan 2010 12:07:38 +0000
From:      Gavin Atkinson <gavin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        fernando ajenjo <fajenjo@faktoriabipbip.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugbusters@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Report problem: FreeBSD 8 in Sun 480R

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 11:12 +0100, fernando ajenjo wrote:
> Hello, FreeBSD team, I downloaded the FreeBSD version 8 SPARC for
> installation on Sun 480R, and I installed in this old machine without any
> problem. I restarted the system and no problem. I configured the Casini=
=B4s
> nics devices and I included in the rc.conf for start. I pinging to some
> internet directions and no problem. I surf through the Internet, or resta=
rt
> networking configuration too; and the system crash immediately. I probed =
in
> two different machines Sun 480R and I have the same problem.=20

Have a look at the freebsd-sparc64 mailing list, where this was
discussed recently.
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-sparc64/2010-January/006935.html=
 is discussing this same problem.

Short answer: it seems to be caused by a bug in the hardware, which also
affects Linux and occasionally Solaris.  We don't seem to have a
workaround in FreeBSD for it yet.  This only affects some versions of
the hardware, I have a V480 that doesn't show the problem at all.

I'm not sure, but looking at the Sun BugID the problem may only affect
one of the two on-board network cards - have you tried just using just
one of them?  In the meantime, you should be able to use a different
network card int he machine.

Gavin