Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 17:24:13 +0100
From:      Marcin Dalecki <mdcki@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PS/2 Mice device - synaptics touch pad.

Hello everybody.

Well currently right now I'm trying to make all the buttons (4 of them)
of my synaptics touch pad to work under BSD. Despite beeing embedid in a
notebook, this device is physically attached to the PS/2 port.
It knows about two operating modes

- relative, aka normal PS/2 mouse protocoll, basically just usable
   for windows installs,

- absolute, which gives full access to all buttons and not just two as
   well as absolute coordinates of the pressing point on the pad.

I have already an XFree86 input device driver for it, which is working
fine if run under Linux. Under FreeBSD the driver doesn't work as expected.
A little bit of digging turned up that writing to the /dev/psm0 device
fails. But I certainly *have* to write to the device to put it
in to absolute mode.

Looking further I discovered that the writing method is filled with a
global nowrite() function.

What should I do about it:

1. Just provide the trivial psmwrite() augmenting kernel level function, thus
presering the higher level driver for XFree?

2. Move everything in to the kernel space?! (The driver isn't exactly
small due to many features like border detection and so on...)

--
	Marcin Dalecki