Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 15:57:39 -0500
From:      "Pedro Fernando Giffuni" <pfgiffun@bachue.usc.unal.edu.co>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Possible bug in Ghostscript port

This might be a problem in our ghostscript ports, I don't have time to
check it out, but hopefully someone with a HP DeskJet, and the GNU
ghostcript port might want to take a look.

cheers,
	Pedro.

_______________(Taken from hpdj's homepage)
A Ghostscript Bug Affecting hpdj

There is a bug in ghostscript's initialization for the undercolour
removal and black generation functions which is not yet mentioned in the
hpdj distribution. This bug shows up when printing PostScript documents
using the RGB colour space (setrgbcolor or sethsbcolor) on a device
where the CMYK space is the native colour space; this is the case for
hpdj if you specify -sColourMode=CMYK. The bug results in black being
printed as a mixture of cyan, magenta, and yellow. On my printer, this
is a slightly greenish grey, fuzzy at the edges because the three
components are not accurately aligned.

You can check for this bug by interactively giving the following command
to gs:

    0 0 0 setrgbcolor [ currentcmykcolor ] ==

gs will issue "[1.0 1.0 1.0 0.0]" on standard output if it would print
the mixture and "[0.0 0.0 0.0 1.0]" if it would print true black. You
should specify a CMYK device like bitcmyk for this test.

This bug is present in at least gs 3.33, 4.03, 5.10, and 5.50. To fix it
in newer versions, look for the following lines in gs_init.ps (starting
at line 1444 in Aladdin gs 5.50):

% Set the default screen and BG/UCR based on the device resolution and

% process color capability.

/.setdefaultbgucr systemdict /setblackgeneration known { {

  processcolors 1 eq { { } } { { pop 0.0 } } ifelse

  dup setblackgeneration setundercolorremoval

} } { {

} } ifelse bind def

You should replace the line containing processcolors with the following:

{}

I have reported this bug to L. Peter Deutsch on 1998-12-09 and he is
going to change the behaviour in the next release.