Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2000 12:38:19 -0800
From:      Jason Neumann <lantech@gci.net>
To:        stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   More Audio 4.1.1

Greetings,
I have had a long string of problems with 4.1.1 and audio support. As of
this post, I have sources installed from last Sunday, October 15, 2000.

When I initially installed 4.1.1-STABLE, I had audio but my machine
spontaneously rebooted with a Fatal Trap 12. Upon investigation, someone
pointed out that my AWE64 may have been the cause. I had these messages
at startup:

sa0: too many dependent configs (8)
isa0: unexpected small tag 14

-----

So... I replaced the awe64 with a VIBRA16 pnp. Audio then worked, but
would mysteriously and spontaneously cut to white noise. So I cvsup'd
and installed src everytime I saw a change in the audio src. Last done
15-OCT-00.

Here is my problem since 15-OCT-00's cvsup. When I try to play mp3 audio
with mpg123 (VIBRA16 card), I get the following messages:

/dev/dsp: Device Busy
/dev/dsp: Device Busy
audio: Device Busy

pcm0 play interrupt timeout, channel dead

My audio is correctly detected by the OS (dmesg looks good) and pnpinfo
shows that everything is normal. I have recreated my /dev directory. I
have checked file attributes on all the dev's.

If anyone has any info that can help? I'm stuck.

At this point I am considering three options.

1. Go backwards to 3.5-STABLE
2. Wipe my drive and do a clean install of 4.1.1-STABLE
3. Wipe my source tree and cvsup the whole branch again, in case I have
some corrupted src.

Any ideas?

Thank you all in advance for any assistance. Sorry for the long winded
post.

Your Friend,
The 'confused and forlorn' guy in Alaska

JasonN