Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 23:12:53 +0300 (EEST)
From:      Adrian Penisoara <ady@warpnet.ro>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        patl@phoenix.volant.org, Matt Behrens <matt@megaweapon.zigg.com>, imap-uw@freebsd.ady.ro, FreeBSD ports <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: imap-uw security hole -- please update port

Hi,

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, Steve Price wrote:
> # You absolutely do NOT want to make the pine port depend on the imap-uw
> # port; nor do you want it to automatically install the IMAP and POP
> # servers that are packaged with it.  Either choice would severely tick
> # off those of us who use any other IMAP/POP server package. (Also,
> # remember, the pine client may be built and installed on machines that
> # will never run a local IMAP or POP daemon.)
>
> Fair enough, I was just asking because if I'm going to be in
> there anyway I might as well do this too if it was a desired
> feature.  NOTE: however I did say that if it were to be done
> that it "would have to be conditionalized appropriately...".
> By this I meant that it wouldn't act any different than it does
> today unless you did something like this:
>
> 	# cd /usr/ports/mail/pine4
> 	# WANT_IMAP_TOOLS=yes make install

 I understood your point, but really Steve: Pine is the client, imap-uw is
the server; there is seldomly the need to install them both at a time. And
it's much easier to control & use them in separate ports (though there
might appear some issues with the shared libraries -- libc-client for
example).

> Steve

 PS: I'm striving on finishing the Pine 4.00 port...

 Ady (@freebsd.ady.ro)