Date:      Fri, 8 Aug 1997 01:43:55 -0400
From:      Mark Mayo <mark@quickweb.com>
To:        chad@anasazi.com
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape native version

On Thu, Aug 07, 1997 at 10:06:37PM -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> Jordan recently sent e-mail announcing that Netscape has a native
> implementation of Navigator.
>
> Actually, it was of Communicator.  And, perhaps he should have mentioned
> it needs to run under 2.2 as it was linked dynamically and has VD
> (Version Discrepency) on the g++, c and stdc shared libraries.

Anyone else notice that it often just refuses to die?? I'd say about 60%
of the time for me, when I close it by selecting "Exit" from the menu,
or close the window using the window manager, Netscape disapears from
the screen, but a process list shows me it's still there, eating up
20MB or RAM and burning away my CPU. 'kill -9' is your friend..

Also, the java performance just seems HORRIBLE with the FReeBSD version..
Idon't know what they're doing, but for some reason the FreeBSD version
runs about 1000% slower than the Linux version of Communicator (and the
BSDI 3.0 series).

Finally, Communicator locked up on me last night - actuallly it locked
up and took out my system with it.. complete freeze. X was still
"displaying", but the keyboard and mouse were dead. The machine wouldn't
even answer pings... complete freeze. Needless to say, since I've been
running FreeBSD (almost 2 years) this is the first time this has ever
happened to me. Lock up. Not even a crash. Nothing is worse, and horrible
images of win95 were filling my head.

Solution:
	rm -rf /usr/local/netscape
	mount /cdrom
	pkg_add /cdrom/packages/All/slynx-2.7.tgz

Communicator may have a pretty interface, but it's a behemouth,
resource eating, system crashing, poor performing monster. Surely they
can do better...

-Mark

> 	-crl
> --
> Chad R. Larson (CRL22)                          Brother, can you paradigm?
> 602-870-3330    chad@anasazi.com     chad@anasaz.UUCP      chad@dcfinc.com
> Anasazi, Inc. - 7500 North Dreamy Draw Drive, Suite 120, Phoenix, Az 85020

 Mark Mayo		  				mark@quickweb.com
 RingZero Comp.  	  		   http://vinyl.quickweb.com/mark

	 finger mark@quickweb.com for my PGP key and GCS code
	University degrees are a bit like adultery: you may not want to
	get involved with that sort of thing, but you don't want to be
	thought incapable.	-Sir Peter Imbert