Date:      Sat, 28 Sep 2013 15:53:59 +0300
From:      Volodymyr Kostyrko <c.kworr@gmail.com>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: General questions regarding FreeBSD 10

27.09.2013 20:47, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> 7. Is Clang and the build system setup to automatically target cpu
> instruction set? i.e. cc -target-cpu corei7-avx? Any performance
> improvements of targeted binaries?

Nope, because you can't just ship a full list of packages for a full
list of processors on the given architecture. You can build your
world/packages though adding -march=native to CFLAGS.

> 10. How is the Java ecosystem on FreeBSD? Is LLVM specific to applications?
> I make the assumption that the VM in LLVM is referring to something like a
> JVM, for code abstraction.

No, LLVM is rather a backend with a lot of copmiler and toolchain stuff.
There's a Java/.NET rewrite using LLVM named vmkit and I think JVM there
is almost functional. But it's not even in the ports.

--
Sphinx of black quartz, judge my vow.