Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 18:35:39 -0700
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@hpnmhjw.sr.hp.com>
To:        "Paul D. Jorgensen" <jorgense@sol.acs.uwosh.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Todays dumb question...

> I have see several mentions on this book:
>
> > Okay, I bought Nemeth, the red book, and a light is slowly starting
>
> but didn't find any references to it in the FAQ's.  Could someone tell
> me what exactly is this book?  Thanks much,  Paul

     I recently submitted some additions for the FAQ, and I added a
short section on books which included that book.  Some people may find
it interesting, and so I've appended it to the end of this message.

     I don't know if it'll make it into the FAQ, though.

     -- Darryl Okahata
	Internet: darrylo@sr.hp.com

constitute the support, opinion or policy of Hewlett-Packard or of the
little green men that have been following him all day.

0.4:  Books on FreeBSD

There currently aren't any books written specifically for FreeBSD, although
some people are supposedly working on some.

However, as FreeBSD 2.0 is based upon Berkeley 4.4BSD-Lite, most of the
4.4BSD manuals are applicable to FreeBSD 2.0.  O'Reilly and Associates
publishes these manuals:

	4.4BSD System Manager's Manual
	By Computer Systems Research Group, UC Berkeley
	1st Edition June 1994, 804 pages
	ISBN: 1-56592-080-5

	4.4BSD User's Reference Manual
	By Computer Systems Research Group, UC Berkeley
	1st Edition June 1994, 905 pages
	ISBN: 1-56592-075-9

	4.4BSD User's Supplementary Documents
	By Computer Systems Research Group, UC Berkeley
	1st Edition July 1994, 712 pages
	ISBN: 1-56592-076-7

	4.4BSD Programmer's Reference Manual
	By Computer Systems Research Group, UC Berkeley
	1st Edition June 1994, 886 pages
	ISBN: 1-56592-078-3

	4.4BSD Programmer's Supplementary Documents
	By Computer Systems Research Group, UC Berkeley
	1st Edition July 1994, 596 pages
	ISBN: 1-56592-079-1

A description of these can be found via WWW as:

	http://gnn.com/gnn/bus/ora/category/bsd.html

A good book on system administration is:

	Evi Nemeth, Garth Snyder, Scott Seebass, & Trent R. Hein,
	"Unix System Administraion Handbook", Prentice-Hall, 1995,
	ISBN: 0-13-151051-7
	[ Note: make sure you get the second edition, with a red cover,
	  instead of the first edition. ]

This book covers the basics, as well as TCP/IP, DNS, NFS, SLIP/PPP,
sendmail, INN/NNTP, printing, etc..  It's expensive (~US$45-$55), but worth
it.  It also includes a CDROM with the sources for various tools; most of
these, however, are also on the FreeBSD 2.0.5R CDROM (and the FreeBSD CDROM
often has newer versions).

0.5:  Other sources of information.

One good source of additional information is the "[comp.unix.bsd] NetBSD,
FreeBSD, and 386BSD (0.1) FAQ".  Much of the information is relevant to
FreeBSD, and this FAQ is posted around twice a month to the following
newsgroups:

	comp.unix.bsd.netbsd.announce
	comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.announce
	comp.answers
	news.answers

(<X?X> is this FAQ still being maintained/posted???)

If you have WWW access, the FreeBSD home page is at:

	http://www.freebsd.org/

A FreeBSD "handbook" is being created, and can be found as:

	http://www.freebsd.org/How/handbook/

Note that this is a work in progress, and so parts may be incomplete.