Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 10:13:41 +0800 (+0800)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to force remote reboot of 3.4-Release?

Last night, I was running a very large Postgresql query on one of my
colocated development servers when all of a sudden the session completely
froze.  Since then, I can get TCP connections to all the open ports, but
they just hang with no services ever coming up.  Ping works fine.

I assume this is due to one of FreeBSD's resource starvation features.
What I'd like to know is, once the server gets into this state, is it
possible to exploit any of the other resource starvation features in
3.4-Release to force a reboot?  Getting access to the server is a big
pain in the rear, so I'd like to avoid the trip if at all possible.

Would a SYN flood do it?  If so, does anyone know of a good SYN flood tool?

	-Michael Robinson