Date:      Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:53:10 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Removal of the old rc system from -current

:Doug,
:
:I totally understand and support the issues with maintenance.  I do,
:however, have a couple of questions:
:
:1.  Have all ports been preened of dependence on rcOG?
:2.  What about 3rd party software that is not in ports?
:
:Would it be possible and acceptable to officially deprecate rcOG in 5.1
:and then remove it sometime in June or July?  I understand that this
:extends the maintenance of rcOG a tiny bit, but it will also help users
:and vendors transition.  Also, will any seatbelts be in place to catch
:software that tries to do things the rcOG way?
:
:Thanks!
:
:Scott

    I think you can safely scrap rcOG in 5.x.  Ports should not be touching
    /etc/rc* scripts at all, except perhaps /etc/rc.conf, and ports install
    their own startup scripts in /usr/local/etc/rc.d (which I assume is
    still fully supported in rcNG).  Most developers are conditioned not to
    touch the actual rc scripts in /etc so I would expect that getting rid
    of rcOG in 5.x would be an almost painless affair.

    Focus on the things that really could cause problems, not on the things
    that are not likely to.

						-Matt