Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:08:28 -0600
From:      "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
To:        Thomas Gellekum <thomas@ghpc8.ihf.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some problems with linux_lib port

Thomas Gellekum writes:
>Moin,
>
>I have a few problems with binaries from the latest linux_lib
>port. Namely, ldd and ldconfig dump core when invoked:

You need a newer kernel. or at least a newer imgact_elf.c, and maybe
new i386/linux/*

>$ file /usr/local/Acrobat3/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread
>/usr/local/Acrobat3/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread: ELF 32-bit LSB executable,
> Intel 80386, Version 1
>$ /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd /usr/local/Acrobat3/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread
>Memory fault (core dumped)
>$ file /usr/local/maple/bin/irisVxm
>/usr/local/maple/bin/irisVxm: Linux/i386 demand-paged executable (ZMAGIC)
>$ /compat/linux/usr/bin/ldd /usr/local/maple/bin/irisVxm
>Memory fault (core dumped)
>
>Both programs leave an empty directory with non-ASCII characters. This
>is with the 961014-SNAP; I'll try again with 2.2-ALPHA tonight if
>`make world' succeeds. At least ldd from linux_lib-2.0 worked fine on
>the maple executable. Any ideas?

I don't think that Soren's branded elf mods were in the 1014 snap.
2.2 should be ok.  The ldd from linux_lib 2.0 was maybe ok, but the
ld.so and many others wouldn't work with new linux stuff like JDK.
There are three static linux binares `ldd', `ldconfig' and `ld.so'
they are branded (ala brandelf) in linux_lib 2.1, so that they will work
out of the box with any kernel new enough to know what the brand is.
See the lengthy discussion on -hackers for why this whole thing is necessary.

>tg

eric.
--
erich@lodgenet.com