Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 1995 08:30:57 -0700
From:      kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
To:        lashley@netcom.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Serial line input

    Pat> The symptom is that I can't seem to read anything from the
    Pat> serial lines.  I've run a cable to my SPARCstation, and fired
    Pat> up a kermit on the other end.  When I cat to /dev/tty01 on
    Pat> the BSD box, the data shows up in the kermit.  But when I cat
    Pat> from /dev/tty01 and type in the kermit nothing happens.

And you're certain this cable is working?  Try reversing the ends
between the SPARCstation and the FreeBSD box and see if you can get
data out the serial port on the PC end.

    Pat> Also, I am getting no input from my mouse on /dev/tty00
    Pat> (which makes X11 pretty useless...)

What kind of mouse is this?  1200 bps is typical, so you might want to
try setting ttyi00 to 1200 with stty and then see if you get anything
when you move the mouse on tty00.