Date:      Thu, 5 Sep 2002 02:14:49 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Dmitry Morozovsky <marck@rinet.ru>
To:        Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
Cc:        Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>, Charles Sprickman <spork@inch.com>, <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: interpreting netstat -m output

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:

DM> AFAIK according to /usr/src/sys/*/param.h, mbuf size if 256 (at least for
DM> i386, see /usr/src/sys/i386/include/param.h, and is not defined for
DM> Alphas);
DM>
DM> and mbcluster size defaults to 2k (I suppose the smallest 2^x to
DM> cover standard Ethernet frame)
DM>
DM> however, in /usr/src/sys/i386/boot/dosboot/param.h, MCLBYTES defined as
DM> 2^12 (4k). Don't know whether this value is really used.

Returning to the original question, I'd never seen on our servers mbuf
usage more that 2 times nmbclusters usage, so in every instance where I've
explicitly set nmbclusters, I'd also set mbufs as 2*mnbclusters (this may
slightly decrease kernel memory reservations comparing to setting
nmbclusters only)

This applies mainly to TCP servers, where most data flow is described as
"Most packets are of maximum MTU". YMMV, you know ;-)

Sincerely,
D.Marck                                   [DM5020, DM268-RIPE, DM3-RIPN]