Date:      Sun, 26 Dec 1999 20:54:17 -0500
From:      Gary Palmer <gjp@in-addr.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ``how to'' for Vinum and mirroring after the volume was created?

Greg Lehey wrote in message ID
<19991227120444.S1316@freebie.lemis.com>:
> Did you forget the 'setupstate' keyword?

How would that apply?  The 2nd disk was not consistant as it was added
after the data was copied onto the first and the old disks removed.
Or should I have dd'd the contents of the first disk onto the second?
There was already a filesystem and data on the first disk which was
not present on the 2nd as I couldn't physically power the disk without
removing one of the old ones.

> How do you determine that?

Looking at the stats vinum provided.  Unfortunately they're gone from
my scrollback buffer, but the 2nd plex was being read from, which is
not something I'd expect from what should have been a straight copy
from the first to the second.  Also, if I remember right, the read
data from the first plex was going up more slowly than the written
data to the 2nd plex, which indicates to me that it may indeed have
been round-robining the reads, even though the 2nd plex wasn't
consistant.

I realise that the above is speculation, and not conclusive proof
about what vinum was doing, but without hacking the module, I didn't
see any easy way of tracking exactly what it was doing.

> > The second question concerns the flag fields.  Is there any way to
> > change flags on the fly?  e.g. change the volume from being round
> > robin to prefer plex?

> That's one thing I haven't done yet.  It's trivial, but I haven't
> thought of a syntax for the command.  Suggestions?

I think (at least to my mind) the best way to abstract it would be as
readflags/setflags commands, and do it so that it would work for flags
on the volume, plex, subdisk or disk level.  I don't know how many
flags you really want to expose to the end-user, but I can imagine as
the product develops, more flags will be added.  e.g. veritas has
user-settable comments fields.

e.g.

vinum setflag vol01 readpol=prefer preferplex=plex01

(that is a tricky one, as you really are setting two flags I would
imagine, not just one)

Thanks Greg.