Date:      Sun, 23 Mar 2008 15:47:38 +0100
From:      Christian Brueffer <brueffer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie@le-hen.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Firewire vulnerability applicable on FreeBSD?

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 07:12:09PM +0100, Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> Hi there,
>=20
> I've stumbled on this article.  I wonder if this is applicable to
> FreeBSD.  Would it still be possible to exploit it without a firewire
> driver?
>=20
> http://www.dailytech.com/Lock+Your+Workstations+Or+Not+New+Tool+Bypasses+=
Windows+Logon/article10972.htm
>=20
> =AB The tool is a simple, 200-line script written in the Python
> programming language exploits features built into Firewire that allow
> direct access to a computer's memory.  By targeting specific places that
> Windows consistently stores its vital authentication functions,
> Boileau's tool is able to overwrite Windows' secured code with patches
> that skip Windows' password check entirely. =BB
>=20

It is, and FreeBSD was used in a proof of concept for reading passwords
via FireWire some years ago (see http://md.hudora.de/presentations/ for
sample Python code).  In CURRENT and RELENG_7, there's a tunable to
disable physical access, see fwohci(4), it should probably be ported back
to RELENG_6.

- Christian

--=20
Christian Brueffer	chris@unixpages.org	brueffer@FreeBSD.org
GPG Key:	 http://people.freebsd.org/~brueffer/brueffer.key.asc
GPG Fingerprint: A5C8 2099 19FF AACA F41B  B29B 6C76 178C A0ED 982D

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp

--LQksG6bCIzRHxTLp--