Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:02:20 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Brandon D. Valentine" <bandix@looksharp.net>
To:        FreeBSD-STABLE <FreeBSD-STABLE@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bug in sysinstall w/ 4.0-20000711

To followup on my own message I'm seeing similiar behavior with the
install floppies from 4.0-RELEASE on this same machine.  The netmask
options will not stick in the ifconfig screen.  I had to open up a
holographic shell, manually ifconfig the interface, then manually add
the default route, then add "netmask 0xfffffe00 up" to the ifconfig
options box in sysinstall to make sure it didn't take dc0 down.  Weird.

On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:

>Just attempted to install the 4.0-20000711-STABLE snap off of
>releng4.freebsd.org and the version of sysinstall on the mfsroot floppy
>has a bug.  I went to configure an ftp install from the 4.0 SNAP server
>and then the interface configuration menu came up.  I selected dc0 and
>input the appropriate IPs and netmask(255.255.254.0 for our subnet) and
>when I would move the cursor out of the subnet box it would reset to
>255.255.255.0.  I added "netmask 255.255.254.0" to the ifconfig options
>box to try to work around it.  It told me it couldn't find
>releng4.freebsd.org so I stareted the emergency holographic shell on
>VTY4 and ran ifconfig dc0 only to find out it ifconfig'd the interface
>but never brought it up.  I manually brought it up and could ping it
>from other machines.  Going back to sysinstall I would try to select ftp
>again and it would bring up the interface menu, I'd enter the same data,
>and it would bring the interface down!  I never did get this install to
>work.  This needs to be looked into *before* July 25th for obvious
>reasons.  Let me know what I can do to help.  I haven't a clue how to do
>debugging on an install floppy with no tools available.
>
>Brandon D. Valentine

Brandon D. Valentine
bandix at looksharp.net  |  bandix at structbio.vanderbilt.edu
"Truth suffers from too much analysis." -- Ancient Fremen Saying