Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:57:34 +0000
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Mark Ibell <marki@ihug.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 Help

On Fri, Mar 27, 1998 at 10:49:17PM +1200, Mark Ibell wrote:
>     I've just CVsup'd to 2.2.6 Release and thought I might try updating
> /etc & /dev as well as doing a standard make world. Oops... I have
> FreeBSD on the second partition (wd0s2) but made the entries for wd0s1
> instead. By that I mean wd0s1a ... wd0s1h. Now only the root
> partition mounts, and in read only mode so I can't make the proper
> /dev entries. So am I like totally f####d or what?

To remount the / as read-write, just

    # mount -u /

after you've booted single user. You can then go and edit /etc/fstab as
normal.

Note that the only editor you'll have available is 'ed', which is not
particularly user friendly. You probably want to remount your /usr
partition by hand, to pick up vi and friends in /usr/bin. Something like

    # mount /dev/wd0s2? /usr

where '?' is whatever partition you store /usr on.

Work: nik@iii.co.uk                       | FreeBSD + Perl + Apache
Rest: nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk    | Remind me again why we need
Play: nik@freebsd.org                     | Microsoft?