Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 1997 18:09:53 +0100 (MET)
From:      fj@tfs.com
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   bin/2537: Fsck dies with floatingpoint exception

>Number:         2537
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       Fsck dies with floatingpoint exception
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-RELEASE i386
>Environment:

	FreeBSD 2.2 beta, as generated by PHK 970114.

	System crashed (bad memory) during intense IO to disk.

	At reboot automatic fsck failed with the message:
	  VALUES IN SUPER BLOCK DISAGREE WITH THOSE IN FIRST ALTERNATE
	(setup.c line 384)

	Running fsck by hand (on the primary superblock) resulted in a
	floatingpoint exception (probably caused by the printf in main.c
	with [(float)(sblock.fs_cstotal.cs_nffree * 100) / sblock.fs_dsize)]).
	I did retry after setting the npx0 flags to 0x7 - same result.

	fsck -b 32  avoided the problem.

>How-To-Repeat:

	Good question ;-)

>Fix:

	fsck -b {better superblock copy}

	Fix fsck to check for divide by zero before trying.