Date:      Wed, 25 Jun 1997 16:32:58 +0200
From:      Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        Mr M P Searle <csubl@csv.warwick.ac.uk>
Cc:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>, bradh@iafrica.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.0b5 and XFree86 3.3

On Wed, Jun 25, 1997 at 02:59:30PM +0100, Mr M P Searle wrote:
> > At 08.24 25/06/97 +0200, Brad Hendrickse wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi there, I was just wondering whether anyone else has come across this:
> > >
> > >  I find that Netscape 4.0b5 crashes with a signal 11 error message.
> > >AFAIK, that means bad RAM or CPU or something. I know my hardware isn't
> > >bad, it survived a coupl of "make worlds" a few days ago, but I've had
> > >this problem wth Netscape for a while now. Is it a known problem with
> > >Netscape, or is it my hardware?
> > >

> > I am using Xaccel 3.1 but I have the same troubles too.... I switched back
> > to the old 3.01 , old but stable...
> >

> Signal 11s can also be a bug in that program - it can mean bad hardware if
> that program is known to not normally do it. The C compiler is such a program,
> so if make world runs your hardware is probably OK. I wouldn't exactly
> describe a beta Netscape as bug-free though.

It segvs (signal 11) in various situations. It happened to me
when left mouse selecting in the text area of the Mail window.

I found that communicator 4.0b5 has the same bug (?) as netscape 301
when clicking the NetSearch button - Floating Exception (signal 8).
Strangely this only happened on > 2.2 systems (?!).

(I learned that netscape/java had a bug in string-> number
conversion of things like:

<script>""+1.0E10;</script>

which would be the cause for choking on the Netsearch button. This still
seems to be the case in communicator 40b5.